Sweet n' Spicy Southern Slaw
OK, so the perfect side dish recipe that will have even coleslaw haters asking for is my southern slaw that's sweet and spicy. This dish goes great with grilled ribs, chicken and fish fry’s. If you need something that screams outdoor entertaining, besides an exotic belly dancer or something, its this slaw.
(Pardon me while I brag a little bit now.) At all covered dish functions that I have brought this particular dish along, I've had just about everyone ask for the recipe. Heck, even a caterer asked for it once.It has the wonderful crisp crunch of cabbage with the added spicy sweetness that compliments your next outdoor dish.
White and red cabbage – 1/2 head each, shredded
Fresh spinach – 1/2 bag pre-washed and julienne
Red onion – 1 medium sized, chopped
Mayonnaise – 1 cup
Zatarain’s Creole mustard – 5 tablespoons (found in your grocer's ethnic food isle). If you have trouble finding this you can substitute any spicy brown mustard.
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, minced
Cayenne pepper – 2 or 3 pinches
Honey – 1 tablespoon
Parsley flakes – 1 tablespoon
How To Make It:
1. In a salad bowl toss the cabbages, spinach, and red onion.
2. In a measuring cup mix the mayonnaise, mustard and garlic together.
3. Add a pinch or two of salt and some pepper to taste.
4. A couple of pinches of cayenne pepper and the honey complete this awesome dressing.
5. Mix it all together thoroughly and take a taste. (Incredible, isn’t it?)
6. Now toss the dressing with the ingredients in the salad bowl, cover and refrigerate for about an hour to let all the flavors marry.
7. Before serving sprinkle the parsley on top and prepare for the accolades.