O.K. My wife has this wonderful overnight salad that is to die for. The best part is you can make it the day before you entertain, giving you more time to be with your guest(s) and get your “drink on” (whoo-hoo).
Her friend, Beth, many years ago shared this recipe with us and it has been a favorite at our BBQs and other get-togethers since.
The longer this baby sits in the refrigerator the better it tastes. But I am talking a day or two, no longer. Any longer than that and you can submit it to become one of your kid's science projects.
Bacon (regular) – 1 lb cooked and crumbled
Lettuce (Iceberg) – 1 head (shredded)
Cauliflower –1 small head (broken up into small florets)
Onion (white) – 1 medium; julienned or thinly sliced.
Mayonnaise – 1 cup (I prefer Hellman’s)
Sugar – ¼ cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/3 cup
Salt – ½ teaspoon
How To Make It:
1. Here's how to prepare the bacon. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place strips of bacon onto the baking sheet and place in a cold oven. Why a cold oven? The fat will render off the bacon as the heat slowly rises.
2. Turn the heat on to 400 degrees and cook for about 15 minutes. The degree of crispiness that you like will determine whether you cook them for more than 15 minutes or not.
3. Remove from baking sheet and drain on paper towels. Crumble and put aside.
(If you enjoy cleaning up bacon spatter reminiscent of the Exxon Valdez from your stovetop, counters and floors, then frying bacon in a pan on the stovetop is for you.)
4. Place the lettuce, cauliflower and onion in layers. Lettuce on the bottom of the salad bowl, then the cauliflower, and finally the onion.
5. In a large measuring cup mix the mayonnaise, sugar, Parmesan cheese, and salt to make an incredible dressing.
6. Now pour the dressing on top of and evenly across the salad. DO NOT mix at this point.
7. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of your masterpiece, seal over the salad bowl with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator.
8. Let sit overnight and let “the magic” happen. All the flavors will blend to make a wonderful overnight taste sensation.
9. Mix well before you serve.
Feel free to add your favorite additions to this salad, such as: hard-boiled eggs, beets, carrots, etc. etc. The sky's the limit.