Fresh Fruit Salad

A Cool and Tropical Delight

I never imagined that one day I'd come to love fruit salad, let alone create my own special blend. But here I am, ready to share my personal and cherished recipe with you. Over the years, I've prepared and served this dish to many, and now it's my pleasure to offer it to you for consideration – and if you choose, for your enjoyment as well.

Ingredients:

  • Fruit – Here are my preferred choices, but feel free to add or remove any to suit your taste:
  • Red delicious apples
  • Bananas
  • Peaches
  • Plums
  • Fresh and vibrant red strawberries

I must mention, if you ever get the chance, visit a nearby strawberry farm and pick your own strawberries. It's a delightful experience – you can bring your kids, your date, or anyone else you'd like to share the fun with.

  • Raisins – I prefer the regular raisins, not the golden ones, as they add a nice sweetness and unique texture to the salad.
  • Coconut Flakes – The type typically used for baking cakes.
  • Granola Cereal – I like using Heartland Granola Cereal (original), which I purchase from local grocery stores. You can also try getting it from health food markets, where they offer various grains and might have it at a better price.
  • Almonds (natural) – This is optional, but I enjoy adding almonds to my fruit salad. Whole or sliced almonds work, just make sure they're plain and natural, without any coatings.
  • Yogurt – I personally use the "fat-free light" vanilla yogurt from Publix grocery store. Sometimes, I mix it with mandarin, strawberry, or strawberry with banana flavors. You can choose your favorite brand and flavors that suit your taste buds.

How To Make It: The directions below are for one serving, the size I typically have. Keep in mind that this is not a snack but a full-size meal portion. After indulging in this fruit salad, I'm completely satisfied and need nothing else to eat.

  1. Grab a bowl – I prefer using a glass bowl about 1-2 sizes larger than a normal cereal bowl, or the smallest mixing bowl I have.
  2. Start chopping, slicing, or cutting the fruit into comfortable bite-size pieces and place them in the bowl. Here's a breakdown of the quantities:
  • Apples – Slightly less than a quarter of an apple.
  • Bananas – One whole banana.
  • Peaches – Less than one quarter, depending on their size.
  • Plums – Half or more, depending on their size.
  • Strawberries – About five, depending on their size. I like to de-core them before slicing.
  • Raisins – Use one box of mini-snacks, the small boxes that come in a bag of 14 mini-snacks.

I recommend not cutting too much fruit initially. If you're hungry while preparing, you might end up with too much fruit, and it's disappointing to have leftovers since the fresh taste diminishes over time. Trust me; I've experienced this often enough to know it just doesn't taste the same. Cut an amount you know you can eat, and you can always add more of your favorite fruit later. The extra fruit can be stored in a Ziplock bag in the fridge.

  1. Sprinkle coconut flakes into the bowl – around 1-2 tablespoons should do.
  2. Add granola cereal – I prefer a nice coat for that delightful crunch.
  3. Toss in the almonds – If they're whole, about 6-10; if sliced, about 1-2 full tablespoons.
  4. Pour in the yogurt – I use half of their vanilla flavor and half of one of the other mentioned flavors. Any leftover yogurt can be refrigerated for the next fruit salad.
  5. Mix it all up until everything is thoroughly coated with the yogurt.

There you have it, a refreshing dish perfect for a hot summer day or whenever you crave a "no-meat meal." From one fruit salad lover to perhaps another – Enjoy!

Top of Form

 

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Potatoes and Onions

How to Grill the Perfect Steak.

How to Grill the Perfect Chicken Leg Quarter